Moving North London from the end of the last century to the present day. EASY SHIFTWe pride ourselves on being a friendly, efficient, and reliable relocation company that is well established and known within the local community. We love our job and this shows time and time again. Indeed we are often praised for actually making the whole moving experience just that, and an enjoyable affair throughout, when many were expecting the opposite.
Totteridge is a residential area and former village in the London Borough of Barnet, England. It is a mixture of suburban development and open land (including some farmland) situated 8 miles (13 km) north north-west of Charing Cross. It is part of the Whetstone postal district (N20).
It gives its name to a ward in the borough and to the St Andrew, Totteridge ecclesiastical parish of the Diocese of St Albans.
This area was called Tataridge in the 13th century. It may have been named after someone called Tata. The ridge is the high ground between the valleys of the Dollis Brook and Folly Brook. Over the centuries the rural qualities of Totteridge have attracted well-to-do families. Cardinal Manning was born at Copped Hall in Totteridge in 1808. With the opening of the Great Northern Railway station in 1872, late-Victorian and Edwardian mansions were built around the old village. In line with overall trends in the late 1930s, following the conversion of the railway station (in operation from 1872 until 1941) into a London Underground station (from 1940) on the Northern line, smaller properties were built within walking distance of the station (Totteridge and Whetstone tube station). In 1968 much of Totteridge was designated a Conservation Area, and no major developments have taken place since then.
Totteridge was a civil parish of Hertfordshire covering an area of 1,604 acres (6.49 km) and formed part of a narrow salient into Middlesex. It became part of Barnet Rural District and had a parish council from 1894 to 1914. It then formed part of Barnet Urban District from 1914 to 1965. In 1965, the parish and urban district were abolished by the London Government Act 1963 and the area was transferred from Hertfordshire to Greater London, to become part of the London Borough of Barnet. In 1901 the parish had a population of 844 and by 1951 it had risen to 4,500.
The boundary to the north and east is the Dollis Brook and the boundary to the south is that river’s tributary, the Folly Brook. While these rivers define the area covered by the residents’ association, the southern part of the area (with postcode N12 rather than N20) is often regarded as being in Woodside Park.
The main road is the A5109, which runs roughly east–west. The western part is called Totteridge Common, the next part is called Totteridge Village, the central part by the village green is called Totteridge Green, and the eastern part is called Totteridge Lane; the Lane continues into Whetstone, terminating at its junction with High Road, Whetstone (the A1000). At the western end of Totteridge Common is a set of traffic lights; the road to the north from these lights, Hendon Wood Lane, is just to the west of the western boundary.
St. Andrew’s Church stands on the ancient circle site, with a chapel known to have been located here from 1250. The rounded boundaries of the churchyard imply an underlying mote and ancient meeting place. The ancient yew tree in the churchyard is about 2,000 years old (as estimated by Kew Gardens experts) and is the oldest tree in London (also included in the book “100 Greatest Trees of London). The Tithe Barn and the adjacent animal pound, now both part of the Pound House (built in 1907 by prominent Arts & Crafts architect J L Williams), date from the 17th and 16th centuries respectively. In 1790–1791, during the church renovation, all church services were conducted in the Tithe Barn. The West End House barn and Laurel Farm barn were built in the 17th century, and have now been converted into private houses. Timber-framed buildings from the Tudor era also include Willow House and Rose Cottage.
Totteridge has many spacious detached properties in a green setting that are highly valued; some of them are among the most expensive houses in London. Its past and present residents have included the rich and famous, including Arsène Wenger, Frankie Vaughan, Des O’Connor, Cliff Richard, Mickie Most, Hank Marvin, David Dein, Mike Ashley, Bruce Forsyth, David Ginola, Lord Levy and other dignitaries. More modest housing, much of it semi-detached, predominates at the eastern end of Totteridge. That part was developed following the conversion of railway station into an underground station between the two world wars.
Transport for London bus route 251 towards Edgware bus/tube station (westbound), or towards Arnos Grove tube station (eastbound), passes through Totteridge Village along the A5109.
Route 326 towards Barnet (the Spires), or towards Brent Cross Shopping Centre, skirts the eastern fringe of the area, operating a service along the eastern section of Totteridge Lane, and a hail and ride service along Longland Drive.
The nearest tube station is Totteridge and Whetstone – Northern line on Totteridge Lane, Both bus routes 251 and 326 stop outside the station, on either side of Totteridge Lane. Woodside Park tube station is also situated at the Southern edge, bordering North Finchley.